Thursday, January 14, 2010

Classical tale..

I am an avid reader. I know it is difficult to believe coz of my straight and mostly uncreative writing. But still i read and i just love it. Me and my books became friends when my school friend (i was not very fond of her and the feeling was mutual) gifted me a "famous five" book on my birthday. I was horrified by the look of the gift, so small, so thin and not making any sound. I thought oh well another gift wasted. Little did i know at that time that this book will give me the immense joy that i now get from any new book and it will give wings to my imagination which till now was only confined to barbie's wardrobe and her boyfriends. One day i was watching doordarshan and it aired famous five-series on television and i liked it very much for Julian and Dick were very handsome boys. I saw that series for a month and then finally decided to read the book. And that was it, that was the time when the magic began and soon i read all the famous five adventures available in my library. I loved it so much that i started reading whatever i could get my hands on. Malory towers, Mr. Twiddle, Naughty Amelia Jane, Secret Seven etc, i read almost evrything that Enid Blyton wrote(I thank her profoundly). Then came the time for Nancy Drew, Hardy boys and all those amateur detective stuff and i soon graduated to Sidney Sheldon. That was the time i used to read without making any enquiry about the author, not reading the back for a brief in short just reading everything. I read Eric Segal's Love story, Mario Puzo's The Godfather, Jules Vernes' Around the world in 80 days, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein etc. Now i am not afraid of reading anything. Yes now i have become choosy, i go for some recommended authors sometimes, i read Chetan Bhagat, John Grisham, Jeffrey Archer, Salman Rushdie, Paulo Cohelo, Eric Segal, Jhumpa Lahiri, Jill Mansell, Jackie Collins, Barbara Bradford Taylor etc. But i still feel that when i read a classic my heart feels more into the book. The love started with Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the wind, i even read the sequel, Alexandra Ripley's Scarlett but the feeling was not the same. so i decided to read more classics now. I read Jane Austen's Mansfield Park, Thomas Hardy's The mayor of casterbridge, Charles Dickens' Great expectations and many more. Now i will dedicate my time to good classics and hope to write about them in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment